Sunday, September 18, 2011

Letter to Hansel and Gretel

Hansel and Gretel
Storybook Tower
Ladysmith

Dear Hansel and Gretel,
I am sorry for the inadequacy of the bread crumbs as trail markers in your last adventure. My mistress is also having difficulties, though her chosen method--in regard to marking the edge of the paths in the enchanted woods, is the placement of rocks.  The rocks seem to be needed in other places around Toad House and she runs out of the prettiest ones.

If you happen to come and visit--and please do come before I hibernate for the winter--it would be a great kindness if you could choose a rock from your abode to share, and lay somewhere along the edge of the path. The rocks the mistress seems to like the best  are about 5-6 inches in diameter. Not too big and not too small.

If you come late in the fall, and I am in hibernation, you might by chance visit with the elves and faeries who live up in the trees. They are shy and tend to hide, but if the sun is filtering through the branches of the leafless trees, you will see them playing with the light upon the ground. They are lovely, these elven and faery folk, but quite secretive. The hobbits and gnomes may be out on nice days, but without shoes and only hairy feet, they choose to mostly stay inside.

I am, of course, still in combat with the littering trolls. What to do with these muckish fellows? Sometimes I am at my wit's end with the butts and the trash they careless toss or drop.

Ah, I am so sleepy. This cold snap has put me in a mood to snuggle into the earth.  If I don't see you this fall, I do look forward to your visits in the spring.


As always I am
Your dear old friend,
Toad

No comments:

Post a Comment